Whether you want to keep up appearances on holiday or a sticky summer commute to work, beauty editor Emma Robertson reveals her tried-and-tested make-up tricks to help you beat the heat
Love summer’s warm weather but not the inevitable make-up meltdown? Me too. After embarrassing episodes of smudged mascara and streaky foundation, I’ve cracked a heat- and humidity-proof look that uses fewer products, if you’re not comfortable going bare-faced.
The secret? First: fake a gorgeous glow with a facial self-tanner. It perks up your pallor, evens out imperfections and makes eyes seem brighter so you can get away with less make-up. The safest bet is a long-wearing overnight formula to avoid sweat-induced streaking during the day.
A few finishing touches tie the look together – cue concealer where you need it, mascara, eyeliner and brows (see my favourite water-resistant formulas below), plus a punchy lip colour for a dressed-up flourish. Read on for more tried-and-tested application secrets to keep your look on lockdown…
1. Swap your foundation for Autograph’s Gradual Tan Serum – add a few drops to your night cream and wake up with a good-to-go glow that also hides imperfections.
2. Don’t forget to protect – we like Coola’s Classic Sunscreen SPF 30 with its lightweight vitamin-enriched texture that feels more like luxurious skin care.
3. Apply long-wearing concealer only where you need it – hotspots include under the eye, plus around the nose and chin.
4. If your eyes feel naked – even with mascara – run an ultra-thin line of waterproof liquid liner along the top of lashes, right into roots. This simple trick enhances eyes but looks summer fresh.
5. Keep a face mist in your handbag to perk-up dry air-conditioned skin throughout the day.
Photographer: Rui Faria / Make-up artist: Sonia Deveny / Hair stylist: Cher Savery
Nail artist: Charley Avenell / Food stylist: Nico Ghirlando