Want to get even more bang for your buck from your beauty regime? These tricks will maximise the performance of your skin care favourites with no extra effort from you
No matter how flashy your serum and moisturiser, products can’t work their magic unless they’re applied to clean skin – make-up residue and dead cells are the beauty equivalent of a brick wall.
1. Invest in a cleansing brush – these whizzy gadgets use deep-cleaning high-speed motions to leave your complexion skin-care ready.
2. Double cleanse – if you prefer using your hands, double cleanse before bed. The first round removes make-up, the second cleans the skin’s surface.
3. Exfoliate smarter – invest in a liquid exfoliant powered by glycolic acid – it gobbles up past-it surface cells with no abrasive scrubbing.
It’s not just the skin care you use but the way you apply it. Teamed with the right massage, you can give facial muscles a boost, recharging a tired complexion.
1. De-puffing – facialist Emma Hardie recommends holding skin taut with one hand then drawing downwards with the other while applying products to de-puff skin.
2. Contouring – the gentle sonic vibrations from Crystal Clear’s Lift Away the Years tone and tighten facial muscles to lift the cheeks, eyes and jawline.
3. Tension busting – use your index finger to relieve frown lines on brows. Press and hold for six seconds.Shop skin care
It sounds like a beauty basic, but to get full impact from every product, apply your skin care in the right order. Thicker formulas can counteract thinner ones – here’s how to avoid short-changing your skin.
1. Start light – after cleansing, apply the thinnest formulas (toner, then serum) first so actives can sink straight into skin without being blocked.
2. Take a break – don’t rub moisturiser on top straight away – it dilutes your serum. Allow two minutes to let it absorb.
3. Lock it down – seal in the benefits with moisturiser to prevent water loss and make SPF last.Shop skin care
They might sound like an unnecessary step, but face primers are invisible skin magicians that smooth, conceal and hold make-up in place – so, not only do you get away with wearing less product, it stays put for longer.
1. Double up – instead of adding an extra product, use a primer that combines the anti-ageing benefits of a serum or SPF with skin-perfecting properties.
2. Less is more – there’s no need to be heavy-handed with primer. A raisin-sized drop is plenty.
3. Not just for your face – use primer on your neck, décolletage and hands to smooth fine lines.Shop primers and make-up
Model image photographer: Rui Faria / Still-life photographer: Katie Hammond / Stylist: Nu Valado