Bare nails just don’t cut it for party season; polish up with our easy-to-achieve manicure updates – you’ll want to wear these luxe nail looks even after the tinsel comes down, promises beauty editor Emma Robertson
A glossy red mani always makes a timeless beauty statement. This season, give the classic look a modern makeover by embracing the new supercharged reds with a decadent metallic lustre – they look beautiful against a little black clutch and ooze posh-night-out style credentials.
1. File nails into a ‘squoval’ shape (rounded edges into a slightly square oval). Bold colours look best on natural-shaped tips – plus it elongates the appearance of fingers.
2. Metallics show more nail imperfections than opaque shades, so buff first before lacquering with a base coat.
3. After applying two coats of colour, add a plumping top coat to give a 3D edge to the metallic effect.
You don’t need to be a skilled nail artist to master this graphic take on the classic French manicure – just practise painting triangles on bare nails first before doing it for real.
1. Prep and push back cuticles, then apply a base coat followed by two layers of your favourite nude nail polish.
2. Wait until completely dry then dip a clean eyeliner brush into white nail polish and paint mini triangles on to the bottom centre of each nail. Work from the little finger to the thumb to avoid smudging.
3. For a more glitzy take on the trend, try colour combinations such as black and gold, as seen at the top.Shop now
Nothing says Christmas like a touch of sparkle. The secret to nailing this look with sophistication is actually to go more – not less – with the glitter. Multi-layering glitter gives a jewel-like quality to nails that’s tasteful, not tacky (promise).
1. Prep nails then add two thin coats of colour – the darker the better to contrast against the glitter.
2. Once completely dry, add your glitter top coat – we loaded up on three layers for maximum dazzle factor.
3. To remove glitter more easily, soak a cotton pad in remover then hold on the nail for a few moments.Shop now
Photographer: Jason Kibbler / Stylist: Niki Brodie / Hair stylist: Raphael Salley
Make-up artist: Amber Pitkin / Manicurist: Emma Welsh / Model: Erika at Models 1
Hand Model: Eleanor at Body London