As summer draws nearer, our director of food product development, April Preston, picks the best new dishes hitting our Foodhall this month for her new Style & Living column
1. Like many of our customers, I’m trying to eat less meat, so I’m always looking for substantial alternatives. Our beetroot, carrot and lentil salad is one of nine new vegetarian salads inspired by the flavours of summer and all things Middle Eastern.
2. A new addition to our Plant Kitchen range, this hoisin no-duck wrap is astonishing – you can’t tell the difference from our iconic original! Perfect for my 12-year-old daughter, Lola, who went veggie last year.
3. I try to limit the sweet things I eat, but I often have an energy lull mid-afternoon. These chocolate rice cakes hit the spot with a cup of tea – I always have a few in my bag.
4. Saturday night is family night in our house (unless Red, my 17-year-old son, is out partying) so we need easy food – probably chicken and salad, but we’ll start with this indulgent Mexican-style layered dip with some tortillas, eaten while we watch Britain’s Got Talent.
5. May is my favourite time to entertain, thanks to the two bank holidays. I often serve ice-cream sundaes for dessert, but this year it’s Our Best Ever trifle every time. It’s better than I could make, with custard that takes me back to childhood. I’ll top it with toasted flaked almonds so I can pass it off as my own.
Discover M&S Food