150g granulated sugar
160g unsalted butter, plus 70g softened for buttercream
Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
250ml plain yoghurt
120g plain white flour, plus 150g plain wholemeal flour
1½ tsp baking powder
1½tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
3 tbsp elderflower cordial
100g fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped, plus any for decoration
100-200g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20-centimetre square tin.
2. Mix sugar, butter and lemon zest until fluffy. Beat in each egg, then stir in the yoghurt. Combine gently with both flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Mix cordial with two tablespoons of water and spoon over cake. Leave to cool.
4. Blend strawberries and lemon juice, then heat at medium-low, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 80-60ml. Let it cool to create your ‘jam’.
5. Beat softened butter with jam. Mix in icing sugar to spreadable consistency. Spread over cake and top with strawberries.